What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSC Highland Thai X Kerala Hybrid

corky1968

Veteran
I've kept this a little secret till now.

But when I created my original RSC Kerala seeds in 2009. I intentionally used one of the
Kerala females for a special experiment. After she showed signs of being pollinated by the
Kerala males but still had white pistils left. I put her where I was keeping the male Highland
Thai pollen producing cuttings and exposed her to some Highland Thai pollen on purpose.
She was the only one that got both types of pollen. I didn't get too many seeds from her
because she was flowered in a 16 OZ cup and I pollinated them too early back then.

Anyways, I try to germinate a few of these Kerala X Highland Thai surprise seeds to see
what would grow. I got one to germinate and as you can all imagine it may be pure Kerala
or hybrid with a Highland Thai. All I can tell you this plant that I have now pictured below is
no pure Kerala. It's going for the sky like Highland Thai. So it must be a hybrid since the
seed came off a Kerala female and not branching like the Kerala. Genetic testing would be
the only way for sure to tell what's going on. But that's out of the question for me now.

But even in this tiny 4 inch pot it's going to the sky. I don't think I will be able to control
this single Highland Thai X Kerala hybrid beast like her pure Kerala cousins that I'm growing
now. It will probably take me forever to find out it's sex as well also I bet. Pure Thai plants
are notorious for taking forever to determine sex.

It's 11 1/2 " tall in a 4" pot now and beside the maturing Kerala in the last pic below
it's very visible from a distance by it's lime green leaves. The Kerala isn't dark green
BTW. It's just that the Highland Thai is very pale and I guess this hybrid of both types
of Sativa plants displays this phenotype as well.

Go figure the Highland Thai would be dominant. The damn things can become trees. :laughing:

I will have to use this for breeding no matter what. Like how many people out there could have such a plant?
It's the only one in existence that I know of. :skiiing:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
She is pretty, congrats!

If I'm not mistaken though, Sativafiend who sourced the Thai to RSC made this cross in the past after Namkha gifted him some Kerala. I'm almost sure I read that while researching the Golden Lao (another lost gem).

zapallo

i wouldn't bet for it to be good for concentrates hehehe but it looks definitely lovely, very nice narrow leaves :tongue:
sexy sativas drive me crazy :canabis:

Samson4

Veteran
I didnt say it would be good for concentrates. I said it will make good concentrates. You may not get much, but what you get will send you to Saturn.

corky1968

Veteran
Well I just noticed today that my plant is a female. :woohoo:

Also, I took a clone off of it a few days ago and will try
to keep the clone in vegetative mode until I get myself
a male to breed with.

As I got rid of my Kerala pollen producing cuttings. Doh

B

Baron Greenback

Always nice to see those pistils :)
Does that mean no possibility of reproduction or do you have another male?

corky1968

Veteran
Nice leaf.

picture.php

My easy cloning method is to place a cutting in soil in a 4 inch pot and this is placed in container in
about 1/2 inch deep of water (the red line) so the soil stays moist all the time. The water is changed
every 2nd day and it's all placed under a regular incandescent bulb. I'm using a 100 watt bulb now.

After about 10 days the cutting get rooted. I've tried many ways to clone. But this is the only method
that as given me 100% success so far. No humidity dome is used either as I also mist 6-8 times a day.

New Clone:

picture.php

corky1968

Veteran
Always nice to see those pistils :)
Does that mean no possibility of reproduction or do you have another male?

I don't have male to breed with it now. My fault.

So I will flower the seed plant to see how nice the buds turn out.

While keeping the clone under vegetative growth for now.

Do know for sure. That I will make a lot more of this hybrid one day.

As I know already that some people are very interested in this one.

:tiphat:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Long legs and soft red hair draws all the freaks and geeks out.

Sub'd.

corky1968

Veteran
Update, I just took another clone from the main plant. :woohoo:

If you look at it in post #1. You'll notice that there's 2 branches leaning to the right.

The bottom one is the 1st clone I took and the one I just took now
is the other right leaning branch a bit higher up the main plant.

I tell you the main plant is stretching big time now and is now 24 inches tall.
If this plant was in a gallon pot it would be scary I can tell you. It's going to
the sky I can tell. I'm going to wait 3 weeks before transplanting it up to the
same pot that my Kerala are in.

Hopefully, she doesn't go much higher than 4 feet. :laughing:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
In an old sensi seed catalogue the Kerala is described as a short bushy sativa.

If yours want to reach for the sky then its a sign that the gene pool has been polluted?

It depends on what you consider short.

Genetics: Traditional South Indian Ganja Cultivar
Type: Pure Landrace
Variety: Highland Ganja Sativa
Height: 2 metres

Two meters is short for a NLD but they stretch just like any other sativa, and supposedly top out at some point growing lots of main branches.

Edit: I was obviously talking about the pure kerala

corky1968

Veteran

If yours want to reach for the sky then its a sign that the gene pool has been polluted?

The seed that created this plant comes from a single Kerala that was pollinated by
both the Kerala and the Highland Thai. That female Kerala was the only plant that
was exposed to both pollen types.
So to me it has to be a hybrid. The Keralas that
I'm also growing come from other females.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran

No, actually more like this is a clear sign that Sensi Seeds doesn't have any experience or idea about traditional ganja cultivars or Cannabis landraces... lol.

India is the traditional land of the ganja, probably one of the places with more chances of finding untamed traditional plants. It's been grown all over the place for centuries and never prosecuted.

:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts